|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer I||2017||02/01/2017 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be notified of acceptance into this program upon review of the student's application and upon acceptance be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
|Language of Instruction:||Spanish|
The Center for Global Englagement is pleased to announce that applications are being accepted for a summer language program, Functional Spanish for Foreigners, in Cali, Colombia. For five years this program has supported faculty and staff from numerous Jesuit institutions, including Gonzaga, to participate in intensive Spanish language training with our institutional partner and host, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana-Cali. Participants return with Spanish language skills as well as an understanding of the societies and people of Colombia, and our partner institution, PUJ-Cali.
In collaboration with the Center for Global Engagement, the Office of the Academic Vice President supports travel expenses for UP TO five GU staff or faculty AND STAFF to participate each summer. PUJ-Cali supports on-site housing and all instructional expenses.
In order to participate applicants must describe how participation in this program will enhance their work at Gonzaga, and receive approval from their Dean or Vice President. Applications will be vetted by the Academic Vice President BASED UPON RECOMMENDATIONS FROM THE DEANS AND VICE PRESIDENTS, and participants will be asked to continue their Spanish learning with PUJ-Cali via on-line chats and other virtual engagement.
I. PROGRAM EXPLANATIONThe Spanish for Foreigners (EFE) summer program is a four-week-program which will take place from the 30th of June until the 24th of July 2015.
The visiting professors or students from our partner institutions will receive a course in Spanish, designed in accordance with the information obtained from our Student Profile Form. This form will give us an indication of their interests, preferences and knowledge of Spanish. A test will be sent beforehand to ensure that our visitors are placed at the correct level.
The 4-week-program includes:
- Language courses: Speaking, listening, writing (essays, executive and research reports, etc.), reading (academic texts, etc.),
- Conversations with professors from our different schools in search for common academic interests for future collaboration.
- Cultural activities such as dance classes (Cali is known as the world capital of Salsa) and other traditional dances, percussion class, cinema
- Visits and outings to places of interest in the city and surrounding areas (like the colonial city of Popayan, towns, sports, coffee growing region, others) will be scheduled on Friday and/or weekends.*
- Access to all the university’s facilities: swimming pool, soccer field, gym and all other sports facilities.
II. OBJECTIVES1. Linguistic
1.2. To improve fluency in communication in both academic and social situations.
1.3. To develop reading and writing skills.
1.4. To strengthen grammar and increase active Spanish vocabulary.
Cali, Valle del Cauca, and Colombia.
2.2. To interact with Spanish-speakers in different situations.
2.3. To get to know sayings and expressions used in everyday life, especially in this region.
2.4. To get to know the country through socio-cultural experiences in different contexts, films, videos, photos and guided tours.
2.5. To become familiar with some texts and Colombian authors.
3.2. To encourage the understanding of the contextual application of the different disciplines.
3.3. To encourage the building up of research networks.
3.4. To support the constant flow of ideas to impact the academic quality of our organizations.
III. APPLICATION SCHEDULE
- Application date: March 13th 2015
- Reception acceptation letter: March 27th 2015
- Fill in students profile form + placement test: May 22nd 2015